Car recycling is a big deal in the United States. At least 25 million tons of materials are taken from recycled cars and trucks. Cars are the most recycled products in the country. Nearly 12 million junk cars are recycled every year. If you have one, there are some things you can and should do to get cash for cars.
1. Find out how much the car is worth. Junk cars can come in a variety of values. You should start with the Blue Book to see what the make and model would go for. You then have to factor in the age and the condition of the car or truck. When you are talking about cash for junk cards, you need to be prepared to answer a lot of questions about the vehicles. Does the car still run? How much mileage does it have on it? What kind of damage and work has been done to it? Junk cars that are still able to be driven get much better prices than those that do not. You may have to find a way to get the car or truck to the salvage yard if it is not drivable.
2. Comparison shop. Before you agree to one price, you should ask a few places about scrap prices for cars and trucks. Depending on where you live, you may get better prices if you call towns and cities outside of your own. When you are looking to get cash for junk cars, it makes a lot of sense to call around both to the salvage yards in your town or city and some in the surrounding areas. Do not forget to ask if they will pick up the junk cars or trucks, there are a number of junk yards around the country that will not buy a vehicle if they need to pick it up. When you call, have all of the information about the car or truck available so you can answer the questions about it that you will get.
3. Bring your vehicle to the salvage yard. You have done your research and found a good salvage yard that takes junk cars, now you need to find a way to get them your car or truck. The best case scenario is that you can drive it to the salvage yard. This will net you the best price. If the car or truck cannot be driven, you need to find a way to get it there. You may want to tow it yourself.
4. Do not break the law! You need to do a few things to comply with the law.
- Prove the car is yours. If you have the title to the car you want to sell, great! If you do not have the title, you will have to get it. Cars auto salvage yards cannot legally buy any junk cars without that. It is illegal for them to buy a vehicle from anyone but the legal owner. You should be able to get a copy of the title if you do not have it.
- Look into the lemon laws. Every state has its own lemon laws. Make sure you understand the law in your state. Some states do not offer any kinds of protections when people sell their junk cars “as is” but it is worth it to check. One thing to check is how your state treats private car sales vs. those handled by a car dealership. You also need to get the definition of car dealership as this can also vary from state to state.
- Do not tamper with the odometer. Often people think they can get away with this but they cannot. It is not worth it to break the law this way. Just do not do it.
- Check out the rules for price maximums. Many states say that lemon laws do not apply unless the vehicle is sold for more than a set amount. Check and see what that is for your state. It might be worth it to sell for less.
Selling junk cars and trucks can get you cash and is good for the environment. If you some research, you will get a decent price for yours.