People all across the United States love their Fifth Wheel Campers. If you are new to owning one, operating it may be a challenge. There are different kinds of ways to get used to using your Jayco Eagle Premier fifth wheel camper. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Practice driving your fifth wheel camper. Driving a Jayco Eagle Premier fifth wheel camper is not like driving other kinds of vehicles and takes some getting used to, that is ok. You are not expected to know how to drive it perfectly at first. This is why you should spend some time practicing this skill before you take your family on a trip with it. Practice driving it. Practice parking it. Practice using the brakes in different settings such as up and down hills. Practice turning. Do not go on a long trip until you are totally comfortable doing all of these things.
Do not rush your trip. One of the best things about taking a trip with a Jayco Eagle Premier camper is the chance to see the sights. You will see nothing if you are powering down the highway at warp speed. Slow down. Take you time. Enjoy the ride. You should try to go no more than 250 miles in one day. Skip the interstate and take the back roads when you can. The scenery is better and you may discover new and fun things you never would have seen or heard about any other way. You may have heard the saying, “the journey is its own reward,” well, that is what camper travel is all about.
- Check the weather. There are few things that can screw up a great day of driving your Jayco Eagle Premier fifth wheel camper more than bad weather. High winds can make driving really dangerous. Another problem is rain. When you are practicing your driving, you may want to practice braking in the rain. This is a challenge for a lot of people and can put you in a very precarious spot. Even when the wind is not bad due to weather, if you are on a large and busy interstate, you can get into trouble because of other trailers that are on the road with you. This is just another reason to take the secondary roads when you are on your trip.
- Plan your route in advance. Sure, you probably have a GPS system so you will not get lost but the planning process can also be a fun, bonding experience. Get your family together and map out the route you are going to take with your Jayco Eagle Premier fifth wheel camper. Keep in mind, you are not just mapping out the roads you are going to take but look for places you may want to stop. There might be attractions or different sights you want to see. Check all of this out in advance, you should also be prepared to find something unexpected but having a general plan can help. Many people find planning their trip to be a fun part of the experience. If you have kids, it is always a good idea to involve them in the planning process.
- Keep an eye on your tires. You should always keep an eye on your tire pressure. Some people will go as far as to get a tire pressure monitoring system installed to help with that. Most manufacturers recommend changing the tires out every five to seven years but you should really just pay attention to them and switch them out sooner than that if it is needed. You put a lot of weight on your tires so taking good care of them will help you have a safer trip.
- Use your mirrors. These are more important when you are towing a fifth wheel trailer than driving your car by itself. They are your friends and you should make good use of them to keep everyone in your vehicle and on the road safe.
Taking a trip with your fifth wheel camper can be a great experience. These tips can help make the experience more fun for everyone.